Friday, July 20, 2007

Visit to St. Philomena's Church




June 16, 2007, this morning was a little exciting. First thing was that I had to go for my first Police enquiry for my passport in Mysore after almost 15 days of submission of my application and the main reason was , finally after waiting for a long time of almost 2 months we were going to see St. Philomena's Church. Though we were a bit late as per our plan still we were excited to go to church. Pinky, our land lord’s daughter, came to us about 10 a.m. and said she would be ready for Church by 11:30 a.m. I was already ready with Arun and just watching TV to pass out time.
At 12:00 p.m. our door ball rang and Pinky was there and she was ready to go for church. Before starting she asked for candle and as obvious two of us were not having candles, than she told us to get it from there only. We kicked our bikes and we started for the church. The Church is located about 3 kilometers from the city center. The ride to church is of almost 20 minutes from our home in Vijay Nagar. The way was a little bit full of traffic.
Being a Hindu I go to temple and few of the times I have been to Jain temples and to Gurudwara but this was the first time I went to any Church। In all other places we need to take our shoes off but in church its not like that so it was a slight uncomfortable feeling but I could manage it any how. In side the church first of all we lighted our candles and then we set on bench and prayed. As I believe there is no as such standard posture to pray, but the feelings should be pure, so Pinky did her prayers in her catholic style while I and Arun did it in our style. Then we went to basement of the church where a statue of St. Philomena.
The church is really beautiful. The St. Philomena's church is a miniature replica of the Cologne cathedral in Italy. Built in the early 1930’s in the Gothic style, it is the tallest cathedral in India. Colorful stained glass panels depict the birth, the last supper, the Crucifixion, Resurrection and Ascension of Jesus Christ. Light filtering in through these panels imparts an ethereal ambience to the inside of the church. The catacomb houses the statue and relics of the 3rd century saint Philomena. Twin spires rise up about 175 feets to the skies and can be seen for miles around.The main thing I liked about it was the clan ness. In spite people were wearing their shoes in side the church was quite clean and second thing that attracted me was the silence there. Though much people were not there still I can say even in crowed it should be quite peaceful place and people should get relax and peace inside the church.Visiting hours are from 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. and from 5 p.m. to 8 p.m... I heard not to miss to see the illuminated church in the evenings but as of now we could not see it. No doubt I enjoyed my visit to the church and it was a good experience too. Soon I will try to visit in evening time.

No comments: